The Firefighter’s Toy Drive in Eureka has a long and proud history. It originally started in the 1950’s with the local Firefighters repairing broken bicycles and repainting dolls. The program has evolved a lot since then, but the goal of our Firefighter’s Toy Drive has always been to spread goodwill and give back to the community that supports us, and this year was no exception. From the little boy who bought gifts with his allowance money, to helping the woman who had Christmas presents burglarized from her home, this is one of the most successful and heartwarming years that we can remember.
With the kindness of our citizens, through generous contributions of cash donations and gifts, we were able to assist The Salvation Army in providing Christmas presents to over 700 families that would have otherwise not have had gifts under the tree. Also, continuing with the Santa For Seniors program, we made a contribution of $1,300 dollars to the Humboldt Senior Resource Center to provide local senior citizens with a holiday gift bag.
This year’s Toy Drive was especially exciting with the addition of Humboldt Fire District joining the cause. Recently, Eureka Fire Department and Humboldt Fire District have been working very hard to combine our services to cut costs and streamline operations to better serve our citizens. The joint effort shown in the Toy Drive is another successful example of our amazing cooperation and teamwork. In the future, we hope to consolidate our two departments into one, known as Humboldt Bay Fire.
Humboldt Bay Firefighters would like to give an enormous “thank you” to everyone that participated in our program this year. We consider it a distinction and a privilege to be firefighters in this community and are glad to give back to the people who have given to us.
Humboldt Bay Firefighters
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
· Captain Tim & Sybil Smith, Salvation Army
· Paul Nicholson, State Farm Insurance
· Doug Powell, Toy Barn
· Brooke Exley, Humboldt Artisans
· Wendy Purnell, Suddenlink Communications
· Deborah Ketelson, DK Creative Media
· Michael Blackwell, Humboldt Senior Resource Center
· Eureka Longshoremen, ILWU Local 14
· Crossfit Eureka
· The Terry Family
· Humboldt County Social Services
· Janet Holmes, State Farm Insurance
· Eugene Chan, State Farm Insurance
· Anthony Sterk, State Farm Insurance
· Plaza Design
· George Peterson Insurance
· Les Schwab Tire Center
· Carpet Express
· Humboldt Grange #501
· Starbucks Coffee
· Eureka Fire Officers Local 4630
· Humboldt Firefighters Local 1770
· Eureka Firefighters Local 652